Mr Matthew Shotton – Headteacher
My name is Matthew Shotton. Born and raised in the Rhondda Valleys, South Wales. I am a passionate, resourceful, self-motivated individual who is energetic and always an utmost professional. I have gained valuable “hands on” senior leadership experience coupled with my deep knowledge of pedagogy has enabled me to become a natural educational leader. I have developed the ability to successfully pre-empt problems and ensure continuity. I am astute in my ability to engage with others however, mindful of my approach when working across diverse cultures. I am passionate about giving every child, every opportunity to achieve their full potential.
It is my passion to work with children, their parents and carers and staff to create a world-class school that demonstrates integrity of purpose through high aspirations for every child. High expectations for leaders and teachers to support and stretch every child to ensure they make excellent progress and build the skills, knowledge and attributes that will prepare them well for secondary school and beyond is another non-negotiable. I firmly believe that the talent and dynamism of the staff will play a vital role in building and energising a sustainable cohesive community.
Finally, under my leadership Fairfields Primary school will grow to be a very special tree in a unique forest. It will be characterised by the development of the character of the whole child, the pursuit of knowledge and skills, a personalised approach, and a genuine commitment to, and total respect for, the community it serves.
- Becoming a semi-professional rugby player.
- Becoming a teacher where I was seconded to ESIS and the Welsh Assembly Government, offering school-to-school support in raising standards in Physical Education.
- Becoming an Assistant Principal of an Academy: forever developing, challenging and driven by consistently high standards.
- Becoming Principal of an Academy where KS2 outcomes were in the top 10% Nationally.
- Appointed as Headteacher of Fairfields Primary School, a brand-new school in a brand new community.